Pages

Us with Mrs. Magda Brown

Us with Mrs. Magda Brown

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Ashley Folger: A Lesson in Forgiveness





            I always desire to learn about the Holocaust. My favorite part is hearing the stories of the survivors. I have met and talked to other survivors before, but hearing Mrs. Magda Brown was a little different. Magda gave us three pieces of advice that she has learned from her experience, and the one that I could relate to and personalize was to not hate. I’ve had a lot of traumatic events happen throughout my 20 years of living, but mine was nothing compared to Mrs. Brown’s trauma. Hearing what she had to go through made me realize that my life and what happened to me was minor compared to what people like her went through. She helped me to realize that I cannot act like a victim, but that I should learn to forgive. She forgave the Nazi officers for what they did. I can’t imagine being able to accomplish something like forgiving those people, but she did. 


I have experienced a lot of hatred in my life, but after hearing Magda I am able to let go of a little bit of it. It is inspiring how she could forgive the Nazis and live her life like she is today. I have been living in misery and self-pity, and Magda taught me to be different. She made me realize that my life could be way worse and to accept what has happened to me and forgive. Because she has forgiven these people, she is able to live a happy, healthy life. That is what I strive to do, but I have never been able to accomplish that. After hearing Magda I realize that what I am missing in the formula to a happy life is forgiveness. 


Magda Brown is truly inspirational. I couldn’t imagine living the life she did, so it puts my life and what has happened to me in perspective. I have to be thankful for what has happened to me because it could always be worse. Magda’s speech has changed my life and has helped me to start working on forgiving. Like she said, I will never forget what has happened, but forgiving allows me to move on in peace. Magda is living her life in peace, and she has accomplished that by not hating and forgiving. I strive to follow in her footsteps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment